Two-day Outreach with Team Meeting
Attendees: Ez, Claire, Nikita, Sada, Claudia
Goals and Techniques:
1) TO INSPIRE IMAAN TO LOOK AT US TO GET HIS NEEDS MET
- I noticed that this weekend Imaan's eye contact had dipped slightly, so we want to inspire him to use his eyes more, so let's work on this again.
- Give Imaan big pauses and lots of time and space for him to respond and look at us. Today his initial response to my request was to look away, but after I had really built the game up and he was excited, I gave him lots of time to respond and he always looked in the end. I even let him leave the game momentarily - he then made the decision to reconnect and look. However, please remember this is Son-Rise and if, at the end of a big pause, he doesn't look I will give him what he wants anyway.
2) TO INSPIRE IMAAN TO SPEAK IN CLEAR, SHORT PHRASES USING ADJECTIVES & PREPOSITION
- Imaan is becoming so much clearer in his language - YEAH!! Quite often he will choose to speak in unclear single words so we really want to inspire him to make use of his wonderful sentences that he is capable of.
- If it's a sentence that you know he can say (e.g. I want banana), motivate Imaan to say it all by responding literally to what he says. If he says only "banana", you say "Yeah! Well done. You're right, it's just on the shelf." Then next time say "Yeah!! If you want it just let me know". Don't always model sentences he knows - encourage him to find the sentence himself.
- Clarity is still very important. If he says something , ask yourself - would a stranger understand? If no, then help Imaan with that word. When he has got it then go to simple phrases and then add adjective/preposition. BUILD MOTIVATION FIRST.
- DON'T ALWAYS MODEL as he is prone to copy words without thinking what they mean.
3) ENCOURAGE IMAAN TO INTERACT WITHIN SYMBOLIC IMAGINATIVE PLAY
- Starts using lots of imagination around Imaan
- Use blocks as cups, cars, dogs, etc.
- Use blanket as a magic carpet instead of plain rides. Go places - e.g. The tickle land, the spinning land etc.
- Use the imagination around Imaan initially instead of getting / asking him to do it - he'll soon get the idea
- Be fun and use your 3E's in these new games. He'll love it!
4) HELP IMAAN WITH HIS FLEXIBILITY BY INSPIRING HIM TO ALLOW CENTRAL VARIATION TO HIS RIGID GAMES.
- Always start with a peripheral change and then when he allows this, make a slightly bigger change. Slowly and subtly and excitedly move the game to another of his motivations - with enough excitement and subtlety, he won't even notice! Enjoy this!
- Always go from one motivation to another strong motivation.